5 ways to increase the efficiency of your garage storage system
Garages are often used as a catch-all storage area where infrequently used or awkwardly sized objects can be carelessly thrown just to get them out of the way. It’s not surprising that garages can easily become hopelessly cluttered and end up being that room in the houseguests are kept far away from at all costs!
It doesn’t have to be that way. With the right tools and a little bit of work, garages can become efficient and well-ordered. Here are 5 simple ways to bring order to a chaotic and messy garage.
- Make some tough decisions
The best first step is perhaps the least fun, but it makes the world of difference. It’s time to separate useful items from the unnecessary clutter that can be thrown away.People tend to accumulate odds and ends. Whether it’s that dodgy pedestal fan that “kind of works and is good enough for guests” or a gradual accumulation of left-over IKEA pieces, it all adds up. Now is an excellent time to ask if it’s time for those things to go to trash heaven.Once the clutter is out of the way, it’s easier to sort, bringing similar objects together and thinking about storage options.
- Get creative with wall storageThe next step is to take a good hard look at the walls. This is valuable real estate and getting stuff up off the floor can make a huge difference. While setting up efficient shelving for basic storage is a great start, you don’t have to stop there!There’s a huge range of options which cater to very specific storage needs. For example, baskets are an excellent way to store athletic equipment, and caddys can become home to cleaning products and chemicals; keeping them in one safe place.
Planning is key here. It’s a good idea to spend some time figuring out what big items should go where, before jumping in and installing a generic shelving system that doesn’t quite fit.
- Find the right portable storage optionsOnce those big, troublesome belongings are off the floor and safely stashed away with wall storage, it’s easier to make some smart decisions about using cabinets and tool chests. The game-changer here is that many of these either come with wheels or can be easily fitted with wheels using some simple DIY and castors. We’re talking portable storage right where you need it.Adding to their versatility, portable storage units come in all shapes and sizes. From a simple, three-drawer chest perfect for storing screwdrivers on a workbench, right up to a huge twelve-drawer roll-away which is great for storing bulky power tools and heavy equipment. With a bit of planning, it’s easy to get specific and find the perfect cabinet for the job.
- Manage those annoying ‘bits ‘n pieces’While getting the big objects sorted is a great start, there’s still the problem of those annoying things which don’t quite fit. Gardening gear is a classic example of a tough storage challenge, but there’s also those oddly shaped necessities like extension cords or, even more challenging, the jumble of screws, nails and washers left over as the ghosts of projects past.This is where wall track systems come into their own. Wall track systems are made up of an assortment of modular hooks, storage baskets and plastic containers all of which fit perfectly into a rugged PVC track system which can be affixed to any kind of wall. These systems can hold a serious amount of weight and are designed to provide versatile storage for all the stuff which doesn’t quite fit anywhere else. The days of pegboards are long gone.
- Adapt storage as needs changeThe number one mistake people make when setting up garage storage is that they think of it as a one-off process. Unfortunately, staying organised isn’t that easy.Pay attention to what is making a garage cluttered and respond accordingly. For example, if a jumble of sports equipment always seems to accumulate at the back door, consider setting up a caddy in that location so that it’s no extra work to store it neatly! If a pile of often-used tools always seems to accumulate on the workbench, place a toolbox right there and eliminate clutter at the source.
This article was proudly contributed by Gladiator Garageworks. With the right equipment and a ruthless approach to getting rid of all that accumulated junk, a garage doesn’t need to be that guilty (and messy) little secret.