Nerve cells (neurones) control the muscles that enable us to move, speak, breathe and swallow. Motor neurone disease (MND) is the name given to a group of diseases in which these neurones fail to work normally.
Facts about MND in Australia
– MND can strike anyone
– There is no known cure for MND
– Each day in Australia two people pass away from MND
– Each day in Australia two people are diagnosed with MND
– People with MND progressively lose the use of their limbs and ability to speak, swallow and breathe, whilst their mind and senses usually remain intact
– Average life expectancy is 2.5 years*
– More than 2,000 people have MND in Australia of whom 60% are male and 40% are female*
To raise funds for MND OBrien Real Estate Director Stavros Ambatzidis & General Manager Jason Mudford set a goal to run the New York Marathon. MND Vic supports almost 600 people with the disease yearly. With many months of hard work, obstacles and challenges the duo completed the marathon on the 3rd November. The duo started in Staten Island running 42.2km through Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and finishing in Manhattan. With everyone’s ongoing support & donations Stavros & Jason have so far raised a total of $22,222.85 for MND.
If you would like to donate and support an incredible cause please click on the link below.