What is Google Home?
What Google Home can do?
Here is the short version of what Google Home can do. By simply using your voice as a command you can do multiple tasks. These include managing your TV and sound, create shopping lists, monitor home security, manage chores and tasks or even plan out your day. This is just a small sample size of what Google Home is capable of.
Here is a more detailed list of the capabilities of Google Home.
Media access to listen to or watch.
- Voice Match – Share Google Home with family and friends. Link your Google Account and voice to Google Home to hear personalized info.
- Music – Play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album, playlist, mood, or activity.
- News – Get the latest news from sources you trust.
- Podcasts – Listen to popular podcasts.
- Radio – Listen to popular radio stations.
- Relax – Listen to soothing ambient sounds.
- Bluetooth – Play your stored music using Bluetooth.
- Audiobooks – Listen to audiobooks from Google Play Books on your Google Home device.
Control TVs and speakers
- Play TV shows and movies using Google Home – Stream video content to any TV that has Chromecast plugged in or built-in.
- Play YouTube videos on TVs using Google Home – Initiate and control YouTube videos to any TV with Chromecast or Chromecast built-in – using only your voice.
- Play audio on speakers and TVs using Google Home – Stream audio to any speaker that has Chromecast Audio plugged in or Chromecast built-in.
- Multi-room audio – Group any combination of Google Home, Chromecast Audio, or speakers with Chromecast Audio built-in together for synchronous music throughout the home.
- Play audio from your phone to Google Home – Play audio from your phone to Google Home from 100+ Chromecast-enabled audio apps or by playing your Android Audio.
- Turn TV on and off – You can turn your TV on and off using your voice and Google Home.
Plan your day
- My Day – Get a curated daily snippet about your day which includes weather, calendar, commute, reminders, and news
- Traffic – Ask for traffic and travel times when driving, walking, or biking
- Local guide – Search for local places and ask for additional information
- Weather – Ask for current weather or forecasts for the week for your home location or any other location
- Calendar – Ask about an event or get your schedule for the day from Google Calendar
- Flight information – Get status updates on your upcoming flight
- Apps for the Google Assistant – Get things done and have some fun on Google Home with third-party created apps for the Google Assistant
Get things done
- Shopping list – Create a shopping list and check what’s already on it
- Cook – Find and make your favourite recipes using step-by-step cooking instructions from your Google Assistant.
- Shortcuts – Create faster, easier ways to do your favourite things with your Google Assistant.
- Reminders – You can set, ask about, and delete reminders on Google Home.
- Send information from Google Home to your phone – Your Google Assistant can send information from Google Home to your phone.
- Find your phone with your Google Assistant – Never lose your phone again! You can ask your Google Assistant to ring or call your phone.
- Ask your Assistant to remember things – Get a little help from your Assistant to remember things.
- Broadcast voice messages to Google Home devices – Send a message to everyone in your home by broadcasting messages on all of your Google Home devices.
- Timer – Set and manage a timer for cooking, game time, laundry, and even sleep.
- Alarm – Never run late or miss a flight or meeting. You can set and manage alarms with just your voice.
- Facts and information – Ask Google what you want to know.
- Finance – Ask about current individual stock prices or current points of an index, like the ASX.
- Sports – Ask for scores, live updates, or next game date, location, and time.
- Calculator – Perform complicated calculations.
- Translation – Get translations for words or phrases in supported languages.
- Unit conversions – Get unit conversions.
- Nutrition – Get nutrition information for ingredients or food.
- Dictionary – Get definitions and spellings for words.
Control your home
- Control your smart home devices – Control supported smart home devices like thermostats, plugs lights, and more
- IFTTT – If this, then that – Control countless online services and third-party smart devices that aren’t directly integrated.
- Stream your security camera – Keep an eye on what matters by streaming your security camera on your TV using Google Home and Chromecast or a TV with Chromecast built-in.
Does Google Home cost money?
At between $99 and $149, this speaker is set at a fairly good price. Its the intended improvements going forward that should add value. If you would like to purchase a speaker that is portable then this Google Home smart speaker is perfect.